Graduate Student Handbook
Welcome to Penn Engineering!
This handbook is for graduate students enrolled at the School of Engineering and Applied Science on the Philadelphia campus. If you are an online master’s student, please refer to the online master’s student handbook as many of the policies listed here apply to on-campus master’s students only.
A full list of degrees and links to the individual programs webpages can be found on our Graduate Programs page. This handbook is designed to guide students through their course of study and identify the academic requirements required to graduate. It is intended to be used with other departmental and program resources. In addition, faculty advisors, program directors, Graduate Chairs, department administrators, and senior graduate students are excellent sources of information.
- Academic Options
- Including full and part-time study, Master’s program transfer, dual Master’s degrees, transfer credit, CPT/AFS, and Leave of Absence (LOA).
- Academic Requirements
- Accelerated Master’s (for Penn Undergraduates)
- Billing + Tuition
- Engineering Graduate Academic Calendar
- Graduate Advising
- Graduate Programs and contacts
- Graduation Procedures
- New Student information:
- Penn Policies
- Registration Procedures
- Student Code of Conduct
- Wellness and other Penn Resources
Please note: policies and procedures are subject to change throughout the year at the discretion of the University of Pennsylvania and the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences. The policies and procedures in this handbook are intended to provide guidelines for academic planning and to help students make informed decisions throughout their graduate degree(s) at Penn. Faculty advisors, academic advisors, program staff, and the graduate advisors in the Research and Academic Services (RAS) Office in Engineering are available to provide clarity and further information if needed.
Not an Engineering Graduate student but want to take a class?
- Students enrolled at Penn looking to take a course within Engineering can view our Non-Engineering Student Course Registration Policy. Information on the policy, eligibility, and the form for requesting enrollment can be found on that page.
- The Engineering Alumni Program is designed for Penn Engineering Alumni who are interested in taking one course (one course unit or ‘CU’) in Penn Engineering for personal or professional reasons.
**Please note only students enrolled in the Engineering Online programs may take an online course offered by them. No exceptions.