Applying for Graduation

Applications for Master’s degrees and Engineering Certificates.
August 2024 graduation is open June 3-July 8.


Application for PhD degree. August 2024 applications are open May 28-July 22.


Please note:

  • Details are sent out via email by the OAS Office each degree cycle.
  • Names are purged from the Degree System after each degree cycle. A student who misses the degree deadlines must apply again for the following degree cycle.
  • Degrees are posted after the conferral date and it may take 6 weeks or longer for degrees to be posted to a transcript.
  • Diplomas are mailed 8-10 weeks after graduation. More information on all of this and more can be found here.


Graduate Student Requests

All requests typically take 5-7 business days for processing.

(Penn Engineering Online students should email their program directly with all requests. Do not use the links below.)


Leave of Absence (LOA) Requests:

Grad Engineering Forms and Petitions 

*For pdf forms, please download/open the form in your pdf reader to access the fillable fields. Handwritten forms will not be accepted.



Path Forms (link here) include:

  • Petition to Withdraw from a Course
  • Add/change a concentration (BIOT, MEAM, BE degrees only)
  • Apply for a certificate
  • Add a Master’s in passing for a PhD degree student
  • FERPA updates
  • PhD graduate milestone forms
  • Transcript requests



Letter Requests for students and alumni (request here):

The Office of the University Registrar  will provide letters standard verification including a student’s name of record with Penn, graduate program(s), degree type(s), dates of attendance, enrollment/full-time status*, and/or degree conferral date(s). Credentialing information, accreditation information, tuition & fees information, and/or loan information letters can also be provided. Those requiring  letters for H1-B visa purposes would be able to request a letter with the Office of the University Registrar after the degree is awarded (once awarded, this will show at the top of the transcript).
*Enrollment verification is not provided for future terms. If a student has advance registered for a future term, an advance registration verification letter can be provided.


Other types of letters and whom to request from:

  • Learned course material for specific courses and what was learned in that course. This must be requested to the student’s program.
  • Travel Letters for international students returning to the US from overseas. This must be requested from the student’s program.
  • Invitation letters to the May Ceremonies. International Students may follow instructions on the ISSS webpage for a visitor template to use and further information on what you should do to invite guests.
  • Forms for external insurance/loans to provide enrollment verification: please email

If you have questions, please email with your specific request and we’ll let you know how to proceed.