Applying for Graduation
Applications for Master’s degrees and Engineering Certificates. December 2023 graduation will open September 25 – November 17.
Students must complete both links below. Details are sent out via email for each degree cycle.
Application for PhD degree. December 2023 applications are open August 29-December 4.
Please note: Names are purged from the Degree System after each degree cycle. A student who misses the degree deadlines must apply again for the following degree cycle. Degrees are posted after the conferral date and it may take 6 weeks or longer for degrees to be posted to a transcript. Diplomas are mailed by the Secretary’s Office 8-10 weeks after graduation. More information on all of this and more can be found here.
Graduate Student Requests
All requests typically take 5-7 business days for processing.
(Penn Engineering Online students should email their program directly with all requests. Do not use the links below.)
Grad Engineering Forms and Petitions
For pdf forms, please download/open the form in your pdf reader to access the fillable fields. Handwritten forms will not be accepted.
- Transfer to Another Master’s Program
- Dual Master’s Degrees within Engineering
Path Forms (link here) include:
- Petition to Withdraw from a Course
- Add/change a concentration (BIOT, MEAM, BE degrees only)
- Apply for a certificate
- Add a Master’s in passing for a PhD degree student
- FERPA updates
- PhD graduate milestone forms
- Transcript requests
Letter Requests (Link Here):
Types of letters we can provide for current students:
- Verify full-time status
- Good academic standing
- Expected graduation date(s)
Types of letters we can provide for alumni:
- Degree Verification Letter
Information on a standard verification form includes a student’s name of record with Penn, graduate program(s), degree type, dates of attendance, and degree conferral date. Those requiring this for H1-B visa purposes, instructions are sent each Spring term on the process.
If you wish to request a degree verification letter, this option is only for students that just graduated. Please note cut off periods for this request type: end of June for May graduation, end of September for August graduation and end of January for December graduation. All requests made after the times indicated above must be made to the Office of the University Registrar. Please submit your request directly with them.
Types of letters we cannot provide:
- Learned course material for specific courses and what was learned in that course. This must be requested to the student’s program. The program or department might also request
- Invitation letters to the May Ceremonies. International Students may follow instructions on the ISSS webpage for a visitor template to use and further information on what you should do to invite guests.
- Travel Letters for international students returning to the US from overseas. This must be requested from the student’s program.
- Credentialing information, accreditation information, tuition & fees information, and/or loan information. These types of requests can be made to the Office of the University Registrar and they will work with University partners to complete these types of requests. Please use this link here.
All letters will be processed and sent electronically as a .pdf only. No ink signature, seal, printed letter for pick-up, or postal mail copies will be issued. Student provided templates will not be used, but students can enter additional information on the form for information they are requesting to be provided in the letter if not in the choice section. We will not supply a letter saying a degree has been awarded until after the degree has officially been awarded and is listed on the transcript. Never provide your social security number in an email or on a form that is emailed.
If you have questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your specific request and we’ll let you know how to proceed.