Billing and Tuition Fees

Billing and Registration

Billing always follows registration. Electronic bills or e-bill are sent from the University’s Student Registration and Financial Services (SRFS) Office to a student’s official email address on file and can be accessed through Penn Pay. SRFS bases its charges on data provided by the Registrar. For this reason, a problem in billing may reflect a problem in registration rather than a financial miscalculation. Frequently, a bill is incorrect because a student’s registration was not properly completed. To avoid these problems, students are encouraged to double-check all registration, including dropped and added courses. Students can check in with their program as well to review their registration.


Tuition will automatically be refunded for a dropped course only if the course is dropped prior to the end of ‘Course Selection Period’.  This date can be found on the University’s Three-Year Academic calendar and on the Engineering Graduate Academic Calendar Students that need to withdraw from a course after the Course Selection Period date are 100% financially responsible for that tuition; no refunds are given. After the Course Selection Period is over, communication between the Registrar and SRFS is less frequent. For this reason, a change in registration necessitates manual tuition adjustments if applicable. The RAS Graduate Student Office will do these billing adjustments.


Ideally, a student’s bill should reflect all charges and all financial aid credits for the semester in question. Frequently, University and departmental financial aid awards are credited after the date of initial billing. When this happens, the bill reflects a higher debt than the student anticipated. The student’s first step is to check with their department/program to make sure the financial aid was credited. Students utilizing tuition benefits with questions should contact the Tuition Benefits Office directly at  Students supported from outside the University should check directly with their sponsors.


Information on tuition can be found on Paying for Your Education.

The University will withhold diplomas at graduation when financial questions are unresolved. It is the responsibility of the student to keep track of his or her outstanding balance and to resolve any problems that might arise.